Monday, May 25, 2020

Week 304

Sunday, May 24, 2020 thru Saturday, May 30, 2020

My goal this week:
Finish installation of lights in and around California Avenue Metra Maintenance Facility
Special Recognition: Dean Hatzis
Special Guest: Josiah Crockett

Sunday, May 24, 2020

Josiah starting to set up his layout.
We'll end up putting up the saw mill and an oval track.
While Josiah played, here's where I separated sand using different size screen wire into different containers based on the size of the sand. Very tedious job.

  Monday, May 25, 2020

Work on California Avenue Metra Maintenance Facility
I'm working on making a covering/awning for the office entrance.

Here's the BEFORE picture.

Here's the BETWEEN picture.
The support beams are in place temporarily until the glue sets.
See tomorrow for the AFTER picture.

Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Inside the facility you can see the electrical panel where I'll attach the wires coming from the outside (really from underneath).

Here you can see where I mounted the inside light.
Still need to finish the flooring and then add some details.

The AFTER picture from yesterday's project.

Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Getting ready for the next step.
Eventually I will be soldering.
More on that later...

I didn't realize at the time, but the wire going up the straw is in the wrong location.
This is where the corner of the building is located. The electrical panel is really where the other straw is located.
You'll see this change in future pictures.

While underground, I will go ahead and attach the yard feeder wires to the bus line.
In this picture the orange wires are already connected to the red bus line using the blue suitcase connector.
The white wires are still loose, but will eventually be stripped, tied together and attached to the black bus wire using the other blue suitcase connector.
More to come...

Thursday, May 28, 2020

No Train Activity

Friday, May 29, 2020

LOTS of activity today
2.5 hours worth
First, I replaced the light fixutre in the shop to a fixture I bought at the Science & Surplus store today.
It's a small 6V bulb in a box. You can see it leaning against the building wall.
I'm curious how this will turn out.

Here's the box installed.

Drone view.

After attaching the wires to the box, I had to make my way underground again.
First, I attached the white feeder wires for the yard leads to the black bus wire.
You may ask, "Why are there two blue suitcase connectors?"
Great question.
I had to redo the first one because the wires weren't stripped or twisted.
They fell out of the holder.
After stripping them and twisting them I used a new suitcase connector and reattached.
Now it's a snug fit. All good!

Next I connected the wires from the light box in the shop to the power supply to the electrical panel using the access tube (note the new straw location).
This is the picture that shows the new entry point into the building.

When I turned on the "juice" I was pleased to see the light come on!
If I correctly follow the plan it should light as expected, but it always feels good when your plans come together and the lights actually do come on as expected they should come on!
This picture is taken with flash.

Same picture withouth flash.

After more soldering and connecting, the other lights are now on.
Here the office entrance light and the interior light are shown.

Here you can see the lights from the front, the back, and the shop.

Trackside perspective - dock view.

Trackside perspective - office entrance view.

Series of Videos
Parts I, II, III

Part I - Under the table
Length: 00:00:26 sec.

Part II - Over the table
Length: 00:00:25 sec.

Part III - Around the Facility
Length: 00:00:22 sec.

Saturday, May 30, 2020

Working on the California Avenue Metra Maintenance Facility Parking Lot and sifting sand.

Preparing the footprint of the parking lot.

Cutting and fitting the "asphalt" in place.

Office entrance.

Taking shape...

View from the west.
Dock view.

View from the east.
Office view.

Almost finished.

One more section.

Wait for the weights.
Letting the glue set overnight.

Meanwhile, back to sifting sand.

The challenge now is to separate the different types of sand into containers.

Will I have enough containers after I finally sift all the sand on hand?



No comments:

Post a Comment