Monday, April 10, 2023

Week 454

Sun, Apr 9, 2023 thru Sat, Apr 15, 2023

Sun, Apr 9, 2023

Easter/Resurrection Sunday
and my birthday!

Getting ready for tomorrow's Train Day...
cutting out the parts from the sprue.

Some major cutting for these parts to make them fit.

Mon, Apr 10, 2023

Train Day!
w/Rob Fair, Marcus Thorsen & Jordan Osborn
6-8pm 2 hrs.

I'd like to locate where the light poles will be installed...

Another view of the possible locations
for the light poles at the CNW Engine Facility

Now for the UP Engine Facility
possible light pole locations.

I will have Rob Fair located these tonight.

Maybe we'll have some time to figure out the
Urban Steel Overpass for Marion Street Oak Park.

Rob Fair gave me these two red tractor trucks as
my birthday gift. Thanks Rob!

Our opening session.
Marcus wrote a paper about the Bible aimed at 
understanding for a 13 year old.

Rob has a map of Japan and his experience on a
bullet train when he was there a few years back.

More group discussion...

Time to run some trains.
Marcus will take the lead on Mixed Freight 5D
led by CNW C44-9W #8718 and MU'd with #8659 

Rob Fair locating and drilling out the holes for
the Engine Facility light poles.

Marcus working on his 2nd lap.

Dispatcher Jordan keeping his eye on the train as well.

Mixed Freight 5D coming around the bend - 
East Power District
Duration: 00:00.31 sec.

Rob drilling out the holes for the light poles.

Rob Fair in action...
Duration: 00:00.21 sec.

Tue, Apr 11, 2023

Continuing the work Rob started yesterday...

After putting "straws" in all the holes, I determined
these were the best holes for the lights I will install.

Another view of the UP Engine Facility light set up.

I ran out of straws, but I will cut these in half 
and finish this project tomorrow.

Another view of the CNW Engine Facility

Look what came in the mail today!

The outer wrapper...

And what's inside?
The Engine Facility light fixtures!
Yeah!

Wed, Apr 12, 2023

More work on the placement of the light fixtures at both Engine Facilities...

I need to figure out the best gaps to keep because
I'm not putting lights in each of the slots. That
would be way too many lights.

Some challenge different perspective.

I've already removed the extra places and these
will be the final spots for the new lights.

I'm trying to keep the total at 10 light poles for each Engine Facility.

Thu, Apr 13, 2023

Lots accomplished at the two Engine Facilities...

Check this out:

I think I have the spacing figured out. I will need
17 lights for the UP Engine Facility.

Here's another view from a different perspective.

I also figured out where the spacing 
would be for the CNW Engine Facility.
I will need 24 lights for this Facility.

Here's another view from a different perspective.

And what it looks like underneath before any wires
are brought from the top to the bottom...

You can see how the lights are drilled in rows.

I few more pictures.

One last view underneath the table.

What's it look like with all the Locomotives
back in place?

Looking at the UP Engine Facility from the East.

A quick move south and here's the CNW
Engine Facility from the same East view.

The CNW Engine Facility from the
opposite direction.

Another angle checking out the placement
of the light poles.

Fri, Apr 14, 2023

I got up early and did some work on the RR...

First, I secured the beams together with super glue.

Time to paint the sidewalk and middle section.

/That looks way better.

I'm subbing today so it's time to go to school. I'll come back at lunch to paint...

Hopefully I'll have enough time to get these parts painted...

So far, so good.

The deck bridge sections came from a different kit.

Next step is to glue the bridge section to the concrete sections.

After I get back from school this afternoon,
we'll figure out the next steps...

I'm back from subbing. 
Now let's figure out how to install the bridge sections...

I'll use these styrofoam pieces for support while the
glue on the deck bridge sections cures.

Pre-deck bridge assembly.

Deck bridge in place and supported by the styrofoam.

Front deck bridge in place with supports.

While that dries, I will work on the
grade crossing.

Finally, we return to the bridge installment. 
Looks like I'll need to add a "filler" to fill the gap.

Sat, Apr 15, 2023

Lots of work to do at Oak Park Marion Street.

I stood for a while just trying to figure out where to start.

I started at the new substation and decided to connect the power lines from the Tall Towers.

Here's the steps I took to finish this little project...

Preparing the wires to connect to the new substation.

Wires connected, before trimming.

A little different perspective. Still need to trim the wires.

I tried to add flash, but that just makes it look too
confusing with all those wire shadows.

Finally, I trimmed the wires and
here's the finished product!

After dinner, it's time for more trains.

I'm going to work on the urban steel overpass signage...

I found a deck girder piece I will use for the steel
bridge and the sign that says, "Marion".

The sign will go between the bridge deck and the
girder at the track level.

I did my own rendition of "Marion"

And here's the prototype.

My cutting board where I cut the station platforms in half.

It's a bit tricky and I'm not using the whole kit.
Since the prototype uses only half a covering, so will I.



No comments:

Post a Comment