Monday, July 6, 2020

Week 310

Sunday, July 5, 2020 thru Saturday, July 11, 2020

This week's GOALS:

1. Send equipment back to Digitrax for testing/repair.
2. Finish PRB fascia work in order to install new UP5 panel.
3. Finish filming S1 E5 Return Empty Unit Coal Train to PRB

Here we go...

Sunday, July 5, 2020

Tonight I tried to wire up another UP5.
Everything fell apart and now I'll be sending equipment back to Digitrax for repairs.

I did make a decision to add one more UP5.
That way I don't need to buy a 50' cable.
I can purchase two 16' cables instead.
Much cheaper!

And here is the replaced UP5 at Proviso Yard.
UP5 (1) and UP5(2) have worked properly ever since.

Monday, July 6, 2020

TRAIN DAY!
w/Rob Fair 6-8pm 2 hours.

We started  off tonight working on the fascia at PRB
Here Rob is making a hole for the UP5 in the fascia.

Action Video of Rob Fair using power tool!

Length: 00:00:29 sec.


We had  to use the vice in the garage to cut out a 2x4 to fit.
More power tool footage, now at PRB...
Length: 00:00:18 sec.


We had to flip the fascia board and install here so the cable would reach.
We finished GOAL #2 tonight!

Now it's time to move to the workbench...
Rob taking charge of the C40-8.
We found out the drive shaft had fallen out of the drive train.
Rob reinstalled and it's like we have a new engine.

We tested the body (see next video) and left the shell on the workbench.

Engine Testing...
Length: 00:00:20 sec.


Now we'll figure out what's wrong with the F40PH from Walthers.

We ended up finding the problem in the wheel sets.
We did re-solder a black wire for the tail light that had broken off.

One of the wheel sets had a defect  in the wire brushes.
The wire brushes fit against the metal wheels for contact.
That's why the wheels failed the contact test.
It's like we have a brand new engine!

Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Today I accomplished GOAL #1.
I sent the Digitrax equipment to FL for testing/repairs.

Wednesday, July 8, 2020

No Train Activity Today.

Thursday, July 9, 2020

Today I accomplished Goal #3.

Here it is:
Click here for S1 E5a 7.9.20
Length: 00:16:18 min.

Friday, July 10, 2020

Today I can make goals for next week and even start working on them...

1. Finish filming S1 E5b
2. Finish sifting sand
3. Finish installing remaining UP5 (4)

The last bit of sand I have in storage.
I need to let it dry (see the mess on the floor?) and then sift the rest.

Saturday, July 11, 2020

Look what came in the mail today?
I'm very excited to work on the RR today...

Check this out...

The last UP5 that will complete the plan on the layout.
And the 2 16' cable that I recalculated and will use instead of
splitting up a 50' cable.

Well, this was a bummer, but after I attached the cable under
the table, I came up 18" too short.
So I had to redrill the hole and will reset the UP5 to fit.

Here's the steps to complete the project.
1. Mark the corner spots to drill the holes for the perimeter.
2. Drill the pilot holes.


3. Use the jig saw to cut out the 2.5" x 1.5" hole.

4. Place the panel, set the screws, and there you have it!
I will use the old opening to store the throttle when not in use.


No comments:

Post a Comment