Sunday, July 31, 2022

Week 418

 Sun, Jul 31, 2022 thru Sat, Aug 6, 2022

Sun, Jul 31, 2022

Clearing the slate clean...

The Train Order Board is ready for input for
a brand new session.

I will complete this worksheet in preparation for 
updating the new Train Order Board.

Mon, Aug 1, 2022

Look what came in the USPS today!

My Traffic Signal Controller from Wehonest!

And now for progress on the Train Order Board...

First thing to do is check where each Freight Train
is located in Proviso Yard.

Next is to label them in their current location.
Then I need to have them routed to the destination.

Finally, I update the Train Order Board with that
information gathered from the worksheet.

Yes, it is, very fun!

Finally, since each train needs space in the destination yard, each train must be done in order.
Here is a picture of the order which I will run the trains.

Remember, the "0" label trains can be run anytime there's room on the mainline.

Hard to see, but I've filled in the train
order in the small upper right hand boxes
using green marker.

Tue, Aug 2, 2022

Finally I need to assign the power to each train and here's how I do that...

This is my power activity log.
I check this to see what power was run
last with what train. The open boxes
show what I'm looking for.

Once the Power Order Activity Log is complete
I assign the power to the Train on the Train Order Board.

Finally, I add the final details which include the
engine numbers and whether it is DC or DCC and
how many laps each train will run (typically 5).

Now all that is left is to assign the Conductor and Engineer and start running trains!!!

Wed, Aug 3, 2022

Working on the Dwarf Signals...

I bought 1/2" x 1/2" wood pieces and cut them into
1/2" blocks. These will painted black and used as
the base to the dwarf signals at the end of each track.

Here is one of the blocks in place.
Next, you'll see what I'll do with the dwarf signals.

First I made some track labels.

Then I mounted them on the back of the dwarf signals.
Tomorrow I will try to mount one in location so you 
will be able to see what I'm talking about.

Thu, Aug 4, 2022

I decided to have a black background and white lettering for the Track Signage...

The black background signage ready for overlay.

Yes, that is much better!

Setting up a practice board.



Looking down at the dwarf signals.

I ordered an additional 8 dwarf signals.
I will set them on this board and wire them out to see if my plan will work.

Fri, Aug 5, 2022

A Change of direction happened today...

Check this out:

But first, I had to repair the blue wires on the dwarf
signals. Both came off so I had to re-solder.

All set.
Repaired, Tested, and Ready for more testing.

Wiring diagram for new set of switches.
I will set up a new board to test this out.

This approach will not work.
I will be scrapping this model.

Sat, Aug 6, 2022

I had to remove the back of another dwarf signal.
This time the red wire to the red LED had come off.

Here's my repair job.
I'm getting better at very small solder points.


Look what came in the mail today?
I ordered 12 additional dwarf signals from Wehonest.

 As you know, I had to scrap my other project.
Here's the new board with the West Line
Chicago Terminal Tracks simulated.

These are the bases I'm using for the Dwarf Signals
located at the end of the Chicago Terminal Tracks.

After painting them black, it's time to secure them
to the dwarf signals.

Here's what the other side of the Dwarf Signals
has on them - Train Station Track Assignments.

I've secured the bases to the dwarf signals.

Getting ready to wire these up to the
toggle switches and hopefully get this
test working.




1 comment: