Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Week 230

Sunday, December 23, 2018 thru Saturday, December 29, 2018


Sun, Dec 23, 2018

Since we couldn't meet on our regular Monday evening for Train Day, Jordan and I planned a train meeting for today from 2-3:30pm.

We got quite a bit accomplished this afternoon...
First things first.
Paperwork.
Jordan Osborn does a great job keeping things in order at Central Control Tower.

We tackled something that's needed attention for quite some time.
We ran a test train using the old CNW Bachman and we lubricated the coupler guides on the 85' flat cars.
Good work, Jordan!

Here's the Bachman CNW C44 coming around the corner at Melrose Park...



I couldn't resist the progressive photos.

Progress on the platform.
I've cut out the "asphalt" layers and testing the fit.

Same progress different view.

Then I used the same pattern pieces (shown in white) to cut out the "filler" pieces.


I traces the white paper patterns and now ready to cut them out with a saber saw.

That was easier than I thought.
I didn't need to be THAT careful since these pieces will be used as "fillers" under the "asphalt" layer.

Getting closer to completion.
Here you can see the filler in place (well, really, you can't see it, but it's under the "asphalt")

I noticed some areas where I'll need to trim off a bit more of the "filler" in order to put in the edging on both sides of the platform.

Mon, Dec 24, 2018

More progress on Melrose Park Station Platforms
I've made some final cuts on the filler and the sidewalk at the left center of photo.

I also installed the building (right) and the shelter (left) structures to check for proper fit.

Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Merry Christmas!
Before heading to Chicago to celebrate Christmas with the Crockett family I had some time to work on the RR...

First I prepared CNW Powerhouse for painting...
It's a bit tricky to get ready for paint.
I re-read the directions and I think I need to assemble the wall first and then paint.
So here I'm laying out the parts and decided what more trim work I need to do before assembly.

Here's where the CNW Powerhouse will be placed when finished.

Behind the Powerhouse is the train Jordan and I ran earlier in the blog with the 85' flat cars in tow.
I was quite surprised how well they ran after we adjusted the coupler swings.

Then I stained the edging for Metra Station Platforms:
Here are the 3/16" x 1/16" x 36" trim pieces ready for staining.

I started on one side and worked my way toward the wood block.

After completing the one side, I flipped the wood over and started going left to right on the other side.

Finally, I turned the boards on their side and painted both sides and then wiped them down with a cloth.

Finally I finished gluing down the "filler" and "asphalt" top coat for the Station Platform
You can see how I've started the gluing process on the far side of the tracks.

After gluing the "filler" and "asphalt" layers I tacked them down to secure the location for the glue to set.

Meanwhile, I took the fence pieces from Geneva Station and put them together at the workbench to be used at Melrose Park Metra Station.

What do you think?
It's hard to tell with the tacks in place, but I think it will give it a nice finished look.

Wed, Dec 26, 2018

No train activity today.

Thu, Dec 27, 2018

No train activity today.

Fri, Dec 28, 2018

I had some time before our adventure today so I worked on the RR.
I thought I'd work on the CNW Powerhouse windows and paint them black.


First I had to trim them and then lay them out for spray painting.



First coat. Flip and then another coat.

Here are the painted black long windows of the CNW Powerhouse.




Next I had to do some work on the long windows - front wall of CNW  Powerhouse.
You can see I've trimmed the bottom pieces off the left and almost all the way to the right.

What's on your workbench this week?

I thought it would be much better to place the tall window walls on a piece of plywood for an easier assembly work area.

Finally I place a piece of sand paper under the large block once I start to glue everything together and sand down the base and edges. More tomorrow.

Sat, Dec 29, 2018

I had some time today to work on the RR and here's what I did...
I began to attach the lower wall sections to the upper wall sections.


Here is the progress attaching the top and bottom wall sections.
I forgot I had to paint the brick wall after installing the window panes in the far right wall section.
I had to tape the window panes before painting.

I wasn't comfortable with the rigidity of the bottom and top wall sections so I added some reinforcing sections as you see in this photo.

I took a bunny trail and installed lights on the Metra billboard.

Getting ready to paint.
Finally got to the point where I could paint the walls.

After painting I moved the wall off the original mark for proper drying.


Back at the tall windows.
This photo shows the glue drops before installing the black backdrops seen to the right.

Attaching the black backdrops to the window panes.
These are white because the other side is black.
I also used the dark paint on the white paper to make the backdrops for the tall windows.

What's on your workbench this week?
I'm using the square block to press down the windows with the black backing so they'll dry flat.


No comments:

Post a Comment