Monday, April 9, 2018

Week 193

Week 193

Sunday, April 8, 2018 thru Saturday, April 14, 2018

Sunday, April 8, 2018
Jordan Osborn and I went to the train show today in Wheaton.
I made a goal and hit it out of the park.
Here's what I bought at the Train Show today.
16.5' of LED lights.
I will use this to light up the platforms at Union Station.

Monday, April 9, 2018
I'm 61 today!
Train Day and my Birthday!

Rob Fair and Jordan Osborn stopped by today from 6-7:30pm.
I also had a few birthday visitors as well.

Rob Fair under the table troubleshooting the one parking lot light that wouldn't light.

While Rob and I were under the table look who showed up to sing me "Happy Birthday"!
Ida and her Mom, Emily.

Brian Zielke holding Charlie Zielke with Jordan Osborn and Jan Berg looking on.

And HERE's Mabel!

Emily with Ida, Henry and Mabel.

After we fixed the parking lot light we took a trip to Union Station to check out the new LED lights we'll install next week.

Rob Fair points to the LED light we fixed tonight with Emily and Mabel Zielke looking on.
That was the goal and we hit it out of the park!
Tuesday, April 10, 2018
No train activity today.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018
Train Day!
4-5:30pm
We had quite a crew today.
Carlos Baez came for about 30 minutes, then Dean Hatzis for 1.5 hrs. and Jordan for 1.25 hours.
Here's what we accomplished.

Before anyone came I did some work on Melrose Park downtown.
The railroad crossing...
I worked on getting the white piece on the inside mainline to the same level as the existing "asphalt".

After I got them leveled I cut out a new piece of "asphalt" to fit in with the old "asphalt".

Here the two pieces are fit together.

Now I'll work on the outside mainline highway approach. 

I cut out the pattern and put the glue down.
I put weight on the top and let it dry until later tonight.

Dean Hatzis checks out the curves on the trim pieces.

Carlos Baez secures the ballast and scenery with glue and isopropyl alcohol.

Carlos Baez uses an eye dropper to apply the glue mixture.

Jordan Osborn is working on a new engineer app for throttle control of our future DCC trains.

Carlos Baez finished his assignment.
Off to an Elder's meeting tonight.
Dean Hatzis makes his way down the layout securing the new trim pieces.


Dean Hatzis continues securing the trim pieces to the sides of the layout.
Overall view of the newly installed trim pieces.
Length: 00:00:26 sec.


Yes, as promised, I removed the weights and here's what we have.
I like it, do you?

Thursday, April 12, 2018
No train activity today.

Friday, April 13, 2018
My assignment from Wednesday was to prepare the facia for more trim work.
Here's my work, please check it out...
Because I extended the layout a bit on this end, I will need to put in spacers to mount the facia trim.

Starting on the left and moving left to right...
Using clamps to hold it in so I can drill the pilot hole and then drive in the screw.

Now clamping the end piece just before drilling and securing with screw.

There you go.
Ready for the facia trim when Dean returns on Wednesday.
Saturday, April 14, 2018
I decided to take some time to work on Melrose Park downtown today.
I want to put up the new crossing signals, but before I do I must finish the road and buildings in the downtown area.
Here's the progress I made today...total time: 1.5 hrs.

From 2:50pm to 3:40pm (.75)
I scored the lines for the sidewalks.

Then I traced each score with an ink pen.

Here's a view down 14th street.
I still need to adhere the road to the sub-road near the bridge.

Another view of the sidewalk progress. 


From 4:15pm - 4:45pm (.5)
Next I had to add a base layer to meet the existing bridge road.

I glued and then put the weights on top for the glue to set in place.

Here's a picture of the additional layer to raise to level.


From 9:15pm to 9:30pm (.25)
Put on the final surface above the added layer and now waiting for the glue to set.

Removed the weights to view the final surface.

Another view from the opposite direction.

Back on the other side.

And now one more time looking down 14th street.

No comments:

Post a Comment