Friday, August 11, 2017

Week 158

Week 158

Sunday, August 6, 2017 thru Saturday, August 12, 2017


Sunday, August 6, 2017
I had some time to work on my locomotive fleet.
I tackled one of my three UP SD40-2

Take a look...

This particular SD40-2 has some real problems.
Let's take a closer look.

I took off the shells of two of them so I could look at the guts of both at the same time.
See previous picture above this one.

I turned the base of the engine over and exposed the drive shafts.
As I tried to figure out why the wheels were moving freely, I diagnosed the problem.
The one gear (of three) shown below the chassis are broken in two.
The middle gear is also broken. You can see it is missing in the picture.
The third gear is the only one in place.
There was no way gears 1 and 2 could connect to the drive gears.
Thus the problem of the locomotive not moving in motion.
Conclusion: Turn this engine into a dummy - remove the electric motor.

Monday, August 7, 2017
As far as I know we're on for tonight.
I'm waiting to hear from Rob Fair for what time...
Rob had to work late, no train time tonight.

Tuesday, August 8, 2017
No train activity today.

Wednesday, August 9, 2017
Train Day! 4-5:30pm
Ed Nelson came but I was a little late so he moved on to get some other things done.
I'll make sure I'm not late again.

Tonight we ran trains to test the mainline for any track improvements.

We also had a special guest today.
See picture below.

Jordan Osborn completing his paperwork for the train session tonight.

WB Unit Coal Train arrives at Proviso Yard. We will split this train and put the rest on CNW Yard Track #4
Next train out is the UP AC6000 on Mainline Track 1 (see Video below).

Length: 00:00:23sec.
UP AC6000 departs WB out of Proviso Yard Mainline

Length: 00:00:32sec.
UP AC6000 continues it's WB journey on elevated track.


Special Guest
Jordan Osborn meets our special guest, Bill Berg, AKA "Dad".

Thursday, August 10, 2017
No train activity today.

Friday, August 11, 2017
Did a little work on the SD40-2

I called Atheran and plan to replace the drive gears that are cracked in half - see them in pairs at the bottom right corner?
I might as well order a engine mount as well.


Saturday, August 12, 2017
No train activity today.

No comments:

Post a Comment