Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Week 100

Week 100
We've hit triple digits!

Let's get started...

Sunday, June 19, 2016

I wanted to get ready for TRAIN DAY so here's what I did to prepare:

 You can see the track on the left is covered with "concrete" and tape.

 I carefully removed both.

 Then I cleaned the rails.

And finally, I parked the intermodal well cars with loads in their respective places.

Before I give you the entire series of how I finished the South Geneva Station Platform,
I will show you what else I finished to prepare for Wednesday's Train Show.

Ed Nelson installed this switch machine last week.
I made the switch machine electronic this week.

Now the series, starting from the very beginning...
This is how it looks without any materials in place.

 Now you can see the side walls.

 Before putting in the cross beams for support, I cut the lumber I used for the walls in half to use for the cross beams. That way you can't see them when you put in the plaster "asphalt".

 There are the cross beams.

 Then I glued every corner.

The weights stayed on overnight.

Monday, June 20, 2016
 After removing the weights, I need to prepare to paint the structure.

 First, I need to protect the rails. So here's my tape job.

 With the other platform I handpainted with black oil-based paint.
This time, I tried spray-painting using brown.

 I think I like this better.

 Before pouring the plaster "asphalt" I need to tape the wall sides and top so they keep the brown color.

 And now we're ready for the plaster "asphalt".

All smoothed out.
Now we wait for it to dry overnight.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016
 I started to remove the tape, but then I thought I needed the tape to finish painting the "asphalt".

 I went ahead and removed the clear tape.
Then I turned the blue tape around and used the "clean" side to protect the brown wall tops.

 I used the same black paint with some white mixed in.
I found it was easier to put it in with my finger instead of using a brush.

 Almost done.
Just need to remove the guide board shown on the edge of the layout facia.

Wah Lah! All done!
Nice!

Do  you like the black frame on the left, or the brown frame on the right?


Wednesday, June 22, 2016

TRAIN DAY!

What are we gonna do today?

Well, I'll show you. Let's take a look...

I thought I'd start the session off with a couple of videos.
It's been a while since I've made a video.
Here goes...

Length: .32s
We start with Ed Nelson adjusting the mechanics for the switch machines.

Length: .15s
Trying to keep Dean from working doesn't work too well.


We finished off the plaster we used last week.
However, the new plaster I bought from Lowes ended up setting too fast.
No good.

 Ed Nelson installed two switch machines tonight.

Dean Hatzis smoothing the plaster "concrete".


1 comment:

  1. Looking awesome, miss being there, hope to be there next Wednesday ! ! ! Keep up the good work men !

    ReplyDelete