Monday, April 11, 2016

Week 90

Week 90

Begins Sunday, April 10, 2016

My goal this week is to do one project a day this week.

The first project of the week is to install the dome lights in the Metra/RTA Commuter Cars/Cab.

Here's the step by step...

BEFORE
What's on your workbench this week?
 I laid out the cars and the parts.

 The light fixture to the left should be flipped and connect with the tabs shown on the top car 
(I wish I could figure out how to insert an arrow to  point out the silver tab)

 Next I soldered a delicate metal strip to the contact point.

 I folded the strip to insure contact with the silver tab.

 Another look.

 Then I flipped the light fixture and installed on the ceiling of the Commuter Coach/Cab.

 Here are two of the three installed light bars.

Here are all three installed.
I only had three and now all are installed.
Now let's see if they work.

First I took this video:
Length: .31s

Next I tried to capture some night shots.
Not so good, but maybe you'll get the affect.

One of the Coach Cars.

 The other Coach Car.

And finally, the Cab car.

 Parked at Union Station.
One attempt at a night shot.

Another attempt at a night shot at Union Station.

And finally...

AFTER
What's on your workbench this week?
Dome Light Installation Project Complete.

Monday, April 11, 2016

What's on your workbench tonight?
 Tonight I'm going to start a few-day-long project.
I'm going to electrify the two crossovers in the NE Power District.
I laid out all my electronic switch machines to find two that would work AND would fit.

I found several that would work well, but chose the ones in the next pictures because they worked best.

 If you look closely you can see how the switch plates are located on the wrong side.
I had to switch them to the other side (see last picture).

Here I laid the switch machines in place.
I haven't moved the switch plates to the other side...yet.

In this last picture you can see I've switched the plates to the other side and temporarily installed the switch machines. I will need more time with this project before completion. Hopefully that will happen in this week 90 session.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

So far so good. Each day getting something done.
Nothing new on my workbench tonight.
In fact, I started at the control tower...

here we go...

 A bird's eye view of the switch machines for the two crossovers in the NE Power District.
I already wired them up to an 8-wire cable.

Here's what it looks like underneath.
The wires are connected just in front of the junction box you see the bottom of in this picture.

Length: 1m.
I took a quick video of what I wanted to accomplish tonight.

 Unfortunately the cable I used wasn't long enough to go under the table.
So I had to splice the cable half way up the wall.
I have a feeling Carlos will have me repull another cable.
I will have to agree with him because it doesn't look very "clean".
Maybe we could build a cabinet for this cable group and hide the whole thing?

 Yeah, this is what it looks like from a distance.
Not too good.

I used the cable extension and wired it to this terminal block under the table.
Just above this location are the two switch machines that I'll use to switch the one set of crossovers.

One last shot.
This shows the proximity of the two terminal blocks I installed tonight.

TRAIN DAY!
Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Ed called and said he wasn't feeling well so decided it best to stay put at home.
Jordan, Dean, and Carlos came ready to roll.

 Jordan Osborn at his best - at the controls.

 Carlos Baez installed all the ground throws at California/WeGo yard.

 Dean Hatzis finished the ends of the maintenance tracks Metra California Ave. yard.

Two Men working on the RR.

 With Jordan Osborn in between.

 Unfortuately I had to leave early.
Carlos wired up one of the crossover's switch machines.
(See Friday, April 15, 2016 for an update - bottom of this blog)

 A view of the ground throws looking NW.

 Same ground throws now looking SE.

 Dean's work at the end of the maintenance tracks at Metra California Ave. Yard.

 Another look.

 Finally, looking NW through the maintenance shop.

And the last shot of the night, looking through the other end of the maintenance shop
(view is looking SE).

Friday, April 15, 2016
This video is priceless.
Check out the crossovers in operation!
You won't believe who the operator is!
You'll have to watch the entire video to solve this mystery...

Length: .16s
You won't have to wait tooooo long.

1 comment:

  1. YAHOO, one project done ! ! ! Great work Leader Curt

    ReplyDelete