Sunday, May 2, 2021

Week 353

 Sun, May 2, 2021 thru Sat, May 8, 2021

This Week's Goals - Project Planning


1. Finish work on Chicago Terminal Engine Maintenance Shop

This Week: Just finish rewire of the light and then remove from the list.


2. More Work with Locomotives 

This Week: Figure out - once and for all - why the grinding noise appears with the shell on for the two DCC converted locomotives!!!

3. Finish details on bridge/underpass at Melrose Park east

This Week: If time, finish details on bridge and underpass - side walks, side walls, etc.

Sun, May 2, 2021

This switch machine is "stuck" because the glue has set
and kept the switch in a "frozen" position.

It's important to keep the debris free on the arm that goes under the rails and connects to the throw bar on the switch machine. 

Here you can see I've cleared it out and the switch points now move freely.

Making  progress.
Check out the BEFORE and AFTER videos to see the results of the work I've done tonight.

Ballast still causing switches to remain "stuck"
BEFORE
Length: 00:00:27 sec.

Just a little work to "unstick" the switches
AFTER
Length: 00:00:31 sec.

Mon, May 3, 2021

Train Day!
with Rob Fair and Jordan Osborn
6-8pm 2 hours

We're going to figure out how to get the GP50 locomotive running again!

Jordan greets our fans as we prepare for tonight's activities...

First order of business was to put the Amtrak train in it's place
at the Chicago Terminal.

And to do some maintenance on the power unit at the Engine Shop.

Rob Fair takes a look inside the GP50...

What happened next was a huge surprise!
The decoder had a melt down!
What in the world happened?

I'll need to find the paperwork and hopefully return the decoder to Digitrax.

A look at the new labels for the switch machines
Length: 00:00:31 sec.
Rob Fair switches gears and now is working on the GP9 CNW #1518

After some minor adjustments and testing on the mainline, Rob
puts everything back together again and we're ready to go!

Tue, May 4, 2021

First thing to do is to get the decoder information together to ship back to Digitrax.
They have a "no fault" warranty within a year. I found the receipt and the manual which I bought in March of this year (2021). They even said they'd cover user error. It is an amazing perk with Digitrax.

l. to r. Manual, Return slip, fried decoder, picture of locomotive wiring.

These next few pictures shows the hard copy and the spreadsheet that needs to be changed.
Every card needed updates.

This is the Inspection Report I use at the Workbench.

This is the Power and Train Codes spreadsheet and hard copy.

Each train code has its own sheet per train consist.

This sheet helps me track which trains have run with what power
and then let's me know which ones are next.

This is the same report just before printing a hard copy.

Wed, May 5, 2021

Tonight I worked on operations. I used the sheets I worked on yesterday to find a train that hasn't been run in a while. I will continue to work through the list until all the trains have been run at least once. There are many power/train combinations I've put together - 30 at the moment - I've used 10 of them and last night I used one more. No pictures, but did take quite a bit of notes on problems I had with the run last night. A bit discouraging, but this is what model railroading is all about - trouble shooting - and having fun with trains! Which I do!

Thu, May 6, 2021

I decided to use the operations from yesterday to film my May monthly video layout update today.

Fri, May 7, 2021

Today I edited and uploaded the May monthly video layout update to YouTube.
I'll send it out first thing tomorrow.

I also did a few updates on the railroad.

I worked at the Engine Shop at the Chicago Terminal

I realized I mislabeled the switch box and tracks (see white circle).
So I made some new labels and put them on tonight.

I did a lousy job of getting the new numbers in place.
It's an obscure place so I'll probably just leave them as is.
Since they are all slanted, maybe it's supposed to be that way 😏

I also had to relabel the tracks.
They were #1-4, but according to the track diagram above they
should be #10-13 which now they are as you can see.

As well as Tracks 12 and 13.
All set!

Sat, May 8, 2021

And here's the May monthly video update

Length: 00:07:33 min.


This Week's Goals - Project Progress Report


1. Finish work on Chicago Terminal Engine Maintenance Shop

This Week: Did not finish rewire of the light. Need to finish.
Next Week: Remove from list after finished with rewire.


2. More Work with Locomotives 

This Week: Sent Sound Decoder back to Digitrax and redid GP9 so it doesn't sound so bad.
Next Week: Remove from list.

3. Finish details on bridge/underpass at Melrose Park east

This Week: Did not finish details on bridge and underpass - side walks, side walls, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment