Sunday, May 12, 2019

Week 250

Week 250

Sunday, May 12, 2019 thru Saturday, May 18, 2019

Sunday, May 12, 2019

Happy Mother's Day!
Jan is still downtown so I had a few minutes to work on the train.
Dang!
The sections shifted during glueing. I'll need to tear these out and start over.
Bummer!

Meanwhile, back at the workbench, I decided to install the railings around the mechanical building.
First I had to paint them yellow.

Here they are installed.

Back at Chicago downtown. Here's the sections glued with elmer's and weighted down to let the glue set.
Hopefully the sections won't shift this time.

Prototype

Model.
Can you tell the difference?
Of course you can, but I just thought I'd ask.

Monday, May 13, 2019

No Train Day today, but I was able to work on the RR alone.
7-9pm 2 hrs.
First I painted I290 & I294 overpasses, but I forgot to take pictures of the process.
I used concrete color spray paint and two shades of gray.
You'll see the finished product later in today's blog...
Here was my paint booth.
Right outside our kitchen door.
I painted the yellow top border for the train order board and I painted the railings light gray.

Here's a closeup of the railings.

Taking off the tape to reveal the finished board.

I installed the Train Order Board.
I had to rearrange the back of the board quite a bit.
I still need to put up borders for the lines that separate the rows and columns.

Here are the railings in place temporarily.
I wanted to see how they would look.
Yes, I like it.

Here's the finished overpasses.
I still need to do some further weathering before I call this project "finished".

A ground view of the intrastate overpasses.

And finally one more perspective.
With the final weathering in place this should look pretty good.
I also want to put some signs up as well.
Street lights?
We'll see. Big job for another day.


Tuesday, May 14, 2019

I stopped by B & G today to pick up some things I ordered.
Here is what I purchased...
I'll need to classify these items...eventually.

Sometimes I start projects I had no idea I was going to ever accomplish.
Tonight was one of those nights.
This is a Train Order Board

These are the trains I plan on running for our next operating session.

Board completely filled in.
AM in blue. PM in red.

Corresponding Dispatcher's Daily LOG matches the Train Order Board.
It has the details of the locomotives on each train.


Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Train Day!
Just me and Jordan today.
Carlos had previous engagement.
Cam wasn't able to make it.
Another day of doing what wasn't  planned.
Concentrated on track work tonight.
This switch has got to go!

Jordan Osborn was my "Goto" guy.
If I needed anything, he was the one to make it happen.
Thanks Jordan!

Great progress at the CNW Engine Terminal.

Before I could secure the track, I had to lay down new cork.

I also added the switch for Global 2 at Proviso Yard.
Here's where I need to add a full piece of cork for the CNW Engine Terminal.

All cut and glued in place.
Weights keeping the cork down and allowing the glue to set.


Thursday, May 16, 2019

No train activity today.

Friday, May 17, 2019

Wow! I had about 2 hours tonight to work on the train.
I covered a lot of territory.
Check this out:
Well, like I usually do, I started at the engine terminal and was planning on completing that section.

But NO!
Instead, I had to finish laying the track lead to the industrial park.
I know there was a reason for that, but it escapes me at the moment.

A video beginning of tonight's starter project.
Length: 00:00:16 Sec.


I've started laying the track for the industrial park lead.

More video of tonight's activities...
Length: 00:00:15 sec.


Here's the other end of the same lead.
Project completed!

And this is a shot of the beginning of the industrial park track lead.

And once more the other end.

Overview video of what I accomplished tonight.
Length: 00:00:40 sec.


I still had time to finish the CNW Engine Terminal.
You can also see the two ground throws I installed in this picture.

I took this  picture because it shows the two other ground throws I installed.
I  installed a total of 4 ground throws tonight.

The finished product.
I still need to secure the track for the CNW Engine Terminal, but the track is where I want it to be.
There's a space for all my engines.

Saturday, May 18, 2019

I finished the Train Order Board
1995 was the year UP bought out the CNW.
I chose that year so I could run both UP and CNW on my layout.

I also finished weathering the Intrastate Highways I290 & I294.
I294 on the right.

I290 on the left.

I found some street lights so I will be adding those someday.
I will probably also add some billboards for the motorist to view as they drive.
Who thought of THAT idea?


No comments:

Post a Comment