Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Week 207

Week 207

Sunday, July 15, 2018 thru Saturday, July 21, 2018

Sunday, July 15, 2018
Today, I worked on Lake Street.
Mainly putting in the double yellow line and weathering the "asphalt"...

BEFORE

AFTER

A view from the other side...
I also wired up the lights for Union Station and the ceiling lights for the underground station platforms.
Union Station Main Entrance

Underground station platforms

View  from a distance...

I usually don't take flash photos, but I could barely see the city viaduct without it.

Another view of the Union Station night scene.

Monday, July 16, 2018
Train Day with Rob Fair and Jordan Osborn.
We worked from 6-8pm tonight.
Here's what we did...
Rob Fair and I got the lights back on.
We discovered the original transformer was bad. It was rated 12v 200mA.
The new one is 12v 500mA which makes the lights a lot brighter.
Still not sure if that's what we'll keep, but we'll keep it for a bit.

Rob Fair contemplated our next move on the city viaduct.

Jordan Osborn hanging out at Central Control Tower.

I tried to capture Jan while she was working, but she moves too fast.
Commuter Train approaching Chicago Terminal
Length: 00:00:15 sec.

Arriving Union Station
Length: 00:00:30 sec.


Rob and I continue the work on the city viaduct over Lake Street.
We had to cut the top piece in sections so we could use the ends for good adherence for the side posts.

Jordan Osborn completing some paper work.

Rob Fair taking a break from the city viaduct and doing some track maintenance.
Here he is filing the rough spots off the rails.

Waiting for a train to come by so I took a panoramic video of the layout from my perspective.
Length: 00:00:17 sec.

The UP Unit Coal Train approaching Crossover #3 as I troubleshoot some track problems.
Length: 00:00:33 sec.


More work on support beams.
The top piece had to have the ends cut off to fit where it needs to be.
See next picture.

Here you can see the base pieces Rob has been working on.
He plans to take those home and drill a hole in the middle for the outer support beams.

Tuesday, July 17, 2018
Today was a banner day!
I bought DCC for the layout today at B&G Train World Hobbies!!!
Check this out...
I ordered these products online earlier in the week.
Today I picked them up at the store.

Here's the breakdown of the products and purpose for each.
Total cost: $348.07 includes $27.27 for taxes! Yikes!

Wednesday, July 18, 2018
Train Day with Ed Nelson and Jordan Osborn
Plan is to work from 4-5pm today.
Cut short for Family gathering at 5pm
I'm pretty sure it has been a month since Ed Nelson has graced our blog pages.
Welcome Back, Ed!

Joined by Jordan Osborn.

We put some trains together for the family session tonight.
This is a mixed freight led by two SD40-2s.

Ed Nelson checking the performance.
So far, so good.
Very nice.

And then there was family time with Neal and Geena and Becca, Alan, & Christian.
So much fun!!!
Neal and daughter, Becca, pointing out the details.

Christian (foreground) and Alan (checking out the monitors) with Neal, Becca and Geena looking on...

Christian? Where's your smile?

Oh, there it is!

Daddy, Becca, and Mommy.

I took this picture for Emily.
See the lichen running in a diagonal line?
Emily brought that back home from upper state WI.
Thanks Emily!

Thursday, July 19, 2018
No train activity today.

Friday, July 20, 2018
Today's Agenda: DCC System Start Up!
Jordan Osborn stopped over and worked from 3-4:30pm.
Here's what happened...
Jordan Osborn displays the newly purchased and ready to be installed DCC Digitrax Zephyr.

First thing to do...
Detach the wire from the transformer to the North/East Power Districts and attach the bus wires to the rest of the layout.

We moved the transformer for the South/West Power Districts and put the Zephyr in its place.
Right in the middle of Central Command Tower.

Here's a final picture of Central Control Tower.
Note the bus wires below on the right side where the engineer's legs would be. 
Well, I got everything wired up according to the Digitrax instructions and it didn't work.

First attempt to install DCC: FAILED!
Oh no!

Saturday, July 21, 2018
Second attempt to install DCC: SUCCESS!
Oh yes!

I did some trouble shooting and here's what I found.
Two booboos

Under the layout at the North Power District I wired up the bus wires incorrectly.
After further review, this is really correct.
I noticed this is really correct.

I changed the terminal blocks anyway.
After I did, the problem still existed.
I even sent Digitrax an email asking for their assistance.

I also changed the wiring I pointed out earlier at the Engineer's desk at CCT.

Here was the REAL problem.
Under the West Power District, the wires were split so I could have one transformer run the South/West Power Districts and the other transformer run the North/East Power Districts.

As I connected the bus wires together, I had the DCC system on and ready to run.
As soon as I connected the black and then the red bus wires, the engine on the track started to run.
What joy!!!
I was so excited.
I'm now DCC ready on my layout!

What a banner day!

Hip Hip Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment