Sunday, March 4, 2018

Week 188

Week 188

Sunday, March 4, 2018 thru Saturday, March 10, 2018

Sunday, March 4, 2018
Very fun weekend.
I did get some time on the layout to work on Union Station.
Check this out...
Since we're making progress on the downtown area, I thought we better get started on the lower level.
Last night I did the outer tracks using the binder clips.
It was getting too tedious so I went a different route which you can see here.
I cut thin strips of blue painter's tape and covered each rail.

Then I  painted over the top of the covered rail.

I removed the tape and wiped down the rail with a rag.
You can see the thin strips of used painters tape in the foreground.

Three of eight tracks now complete.
Time to start on the other side.

I cut the thin strips on pressed board.
At first I cut one at a time and then covered the rail.
You can see how some of the pressed board came up with the painter's tape.

I used a different technique where I cut all the strips first before separating them.
That seemed to work very well.

Here's the rest of the tracks covered with the thin strips of painter's tape.

I needed a few more strips.
Instead of using the pressed board I tried wood as the cutting surface.
That worked the best.

Here's a look with all the tracks painted and the painter's tape still attached.

This is the same shot with the painter's tape removed.

Same shot, opposite view.

And now, I've removed the old foam board used to cover the new painted platforms Mabel installed yesterday.

Same shot, opposite view.
Monday, March 5, 2018
TRAIN Day!
with Rob Fair 6:45-7:45pm (2), Josh Jones 6-7:15pm (1.25), Jordan Osborn 6-7:15pm (1.25) & Colin Wesley 6-7:15pm (1.25)
Lots of trains and lots of progress.
Check it out...
Before everyone came tonight I marked off where the safety lines will go on the platforms.
Do you see the graphite lines about 1/4" from the ends of the railroad ties?

Josh Jones keeping track of train operations.
Get it?

Rob Fair made up some electrical connections we'll later use for the parking lot lights.

Colin Wesley poses for the shot while Jordan Osborn looks on.

While Josh Jones continues his watch.

The Twins coming around the corner under watchful eye of Conductor Josh.
Length: 00:00:13 sec.


Rob Fair prepares to wire up the parking lot lights in the South Power District.

Colin, Jordan, and Josh prepare to troubleshoot the Excursion Train on the mainline.

Rob Fair continues his work under the table.
The Excursion Train coming down from the upper level.
Length: 00:00:17 sec.


Josh Jones trouble shooting the Excursion Train.

Checking out the "cow catcher" on the steam engine.
Viewing the Excursion Train thru the TV monitor.
Length: 00:00:08 sec.


The shot just before the Excursion Train enters the frame.

This is just the beginning.
See video below for the rest of the show...

The Excursion Train running around the bend - note signal crossing.
Length: 00:00:31 sec.


Rob Fair wrapping up his project for the night.

The Boyz from Illinois calling it a night.

It's amazing how much equipment is used for even a small project.

And there you have it.
Rob Fair finished the parking lot lights.
The #2 light will need some attention next week.
I did want to show you the yellow safety line I added tonight.
Wait until I put the people on and the trains are added with lights.
I can hardly wait!

Tuesday, March 6, 2018
I did a bit more work on the platforms tonight.
I added all the yellow lines this afternoon.
I added the safety lines to the outside track platforms.

And finished up the middle platforms.
Whah lah!
What do you think?

I also cleaned up the extra grass after the static grass application.

Here's another view.
Here's what I collected...
I'd say that's a pretty good haul for just leftovers.

Wednesday, March 7, 2018
TRAIN DAY!
Jordan Osborn called in sick today.
Dean came from 4-5pm and this is what we did...
Dean Hatzis has already glued down the first two platforms.
We put the old platforms on top so we could put weights on top to secure them in place.

Dean Hatzis moving to the other middle platform.

We used wood glue to secure the platforms in place.
Dean is putting the platform in place over the glue.


Gluing the final platform.

Here's how Chicago Terminal looks with the weights all in place.
I'll remove all the weights tomorrow and start putting waiting passengers in place on the platform.
Thursday, March 8, 2018
To prepare the placement of people on the Union Station Chicago Terminal platform I moved all the commuter cars from California Yard back to Chicago Terminal for this final photo shoot of the night.
A 3/4 view of the entrance to the lower level of Union Station Chicago Terminal.

What the passengers will see as they race to catch their trains.

An empty California Yard.
Friday, March 9, 2018
I had a sub job at Wredling today.
I had 1 period off so I came home and did some work at Union Station Chicago Terminal
I put in the side jams using toothpicks.
I also taped up the edges for the fill.

The blue tape on the platform is where the passenger doors open/close.
It will help guide me as to where I will place the commuters.

Here's the mix of gray tile grout.

Wet and in place.

Dry and in place.

Jams and blue tape removed.

Added the stops and see what you think...


Saturday, March 10, 2018
The only train activity today was running the excursion train around four times with Josiah.
He likes watching trains run.

No comments:

Post a Comment