Thursday, August 30, 2018

Week 213

Week 213

Sunday, August 26, 2018 thru Saturday, September 1, 2018

Sunday, August 26, 2018
Very busy weekend.
I tried to get a little clean-up going...
What's on your workbench this week.
Monday, August 27, 2018
Train Day with Rob Fair and Jordan Osborn
6:30-8pm (1.5)
Rob Fair and I will work on the supports for the main bridge over Chicago Terminal Yard.

Jordan Osborn keeps his eyes on the progress.

Getting ready to set the posts in place.

More progress on the bridge.

Here you can see the two front posts are in place.

Meanwhile, back with Jordan on his train simulator.

Now you can see the four supports on either side of Chicago Terminal Yard.

Same picture different angle.
Eventually the wood will be removed and the supports will hold up the bridge on their own.

Not much clean up progress today but if you compare the shot from yesterday there definitely is some progress.

Tuesday, August 28, 2018
No train activity today.

Wednesday, August 29, 2018
Train Day!
Jordan Osborn and me (4-5:30pm 1.5)
(Ed Nelson getting ready for trip to FL)

Here's what we accomplished tonight...
Getting ready to put extension on face of layout at Lake Street.
This will be sidewalk of Clinton Street on the west side of Chicago Terminal
All was going very nicely during a backward approach to yard when something very strange happens.
Length: 00:00:16

Whoa! We didn't know it, but discovered a decoder in our 2-8-2 CB&Q Burlington Route Steam Engine 6302.
Length 00:00:18


Jordan Osborn having fun with the OLD (steam excursion) and the NEW (Metra Commuter)

We had a lot of problems with the steam derailing and slipping wheels at various switches.
Here are the two trains side-by-side parking on the main and ready for our next operating session.
Our next operation session will deal with those steam derailments and wheel slippage.

Thursday, August 30, 2018
No train activity today.

Friday, August 31, 2018
I worked half day today and got some time to work on the train...

My FULL intentions was to clean-up.
But the way I roll is to start there and then ultimately find something else to do.

So today, we'll start off with...

WHAT'S ON YOUR WORKBENCH(ES) TODAY?
Definitely time to clean-up.
This is my rolling stock workbench.

Not too bad, but still work to be done.
This is my electrical/lighting cabinet.

This has begun to be a "catch all" location.
Should be kept clean...

UGH!
Definitely a work in progress here.

This is my tools/machinery/hardware workbench.

And this is my building workbench.

This is my anything to do with track workbench.
Now for part 2.
Did I start to clean-up?
No way, I found something else to do...
I wanted to start on the CNW Powerhouse, so I needed to add a street level sidewalk for the base to sit on.

I'm adding piece by piece to make it happen.

Here I'm adding a filler board.

On top of the filler board are the two pieces of 2x4s.

The glue has set and now I can add the sub street.

Sub street in place.

Gluing down the sub street.

Saturday, September 1, 2018
Another day and more progress...
Over the sub street is the street level asphalt now in place.

Once the asphalt is cut it's time to glue it down.

Clamp it down for glue setting.

Now it's time for the sidewalks.

Sidewalks in place on both sides of Lake Street and Clinton Ave.

I like the look.

Now it's time to glue and clamp and wait for the glue to set.

All set.

I tried to match the street level and I think I did a pretty good job.

Cutting the hard board for sidewalks.

I even began to do some clean up.
Now doesn't this look much better?

Still keeping the coupler shanks in place.

Check out my nice cleaned-off workspace for rolling stock.

Now it's time to paint the sidewalks, gutters, and curbs.

Paint in place. Now time to remove the blue tape.

There it is.
Looking good!

Sidewalks now scored.

View from a distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment